Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Work in Progress


Since completing my MFA my art work production has slowed. I have the ideas however not the time nor the funds set aside for experimentation. One of my works in progress is a series on my little brother, David, who suffers from a chronic illness known as Neurofibromatosis. I don't think I want to do a documentary on him however the idea of how this illness has effected him as well as myself for the last 21 years is of interest. There are several symptoms associated with the illness that I am exploring through photography, video, sculpture and performance. The image was taken in August 2007 following my brother's most recent surgery to remove several cysts that appear just below the skin's surface. The image is a visual reminder for me of my feelings during this period of time and the physical representation of the illness seen in the scars of my brother's body.