Monday, January 21, 2008

Spoons!





Having done my undergraduate in a communications department rather than fine art and earning my masters in a photo specific school, I had little exposure to other artistic mediums. Over the last semester of teaching I have been introduced to the world of craft through metalsmithing and jewelry design.

I volunteered to pose for the images to accompany student exhibition submissions–the top spoon designed by Debra Szczepanski, bottom one designed by Brian Kempf. Both spoons were accepted into the Society of North American Goldsmiths, SNAG for short, Student Digital Slide Show happening in Savannah, Georgia this coming March. "The students were asked to design a spoon that went beyond conventional utility, allowing their intended function to subvert, critique, and reveal our interactions with everyday objects," said Professor and artist Gary Schott.

Who knew there were so many possibilities for spoon designs. I almost wish I was a metalsmith.