Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Home Stretch

Three days to go till my first museum opening. Yes I'm excited. This past weekend I traveled from Houston to pick up my three prints for the show and hand delivered them to Austin and then returned the next day to Houston. Nothing can prepare you for the amount of time, energy and especially cash that goes in to getting your work seen. This year as in 2008 I've already spent hundreds on competitions, portfolio reviews etc in addition to printing, shipping and return shipping works to three separate shows happening simultaneously. Its the price of being an artist you could say and of course its a catch 22. You are poor because you are an artist however you can't get your work out there, seen by the right people unless you spend money which you know you don't have. On top of that you want to make new work because once your art is out there and people start paying attention they want to know what you are working on now. Again more money spent that you don't already have. Debt is a common word out of my moth. Credit card and student loan debt–it never seems like it will go away. I'm hoping that from these recent shows others will come and hopefully lead to sales or a solo show. As an artist as many of my artist friends know you have to stay positive keep pushing your work even when you get back hundreds of rejection letters. Eventually your work will be in front of the right person at the right time and things will snowball from there. At least thats what I have been told.