Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Student Show


Please join me this Friday April 18, 2008 at the Yoga Studio Gallery in downtown Nacogdoches from 6-8pm for the opening of Decisive Moments–my advanced photography classes exhibition.

This semester I created a topic specific course for my advanced photography students at Stephen F. Austin State University. I explored three specific themes: Self-Portraiture, Domesticity and Performance and the overlap that can occur between them. I introduced more contemporary artists such as Elina Brotherus, Nikki S. Lee, Trish Morrissey, Jen Davis, Elinor Carruci, Todd Hido, Amy Stein and others. I challenged my students to create one body of work for the semester incorporating one or all of these themes. It was my intention to have my students think how their images work in a series and inform one another rather than make single isolated works.

If you are in the East Texas area please stop by. The show runs through April 24.