Monday, March 9, 2009

A Little R&R






The show successfully opened Friday. Despite three other large openings in Houston we had a steady crowd all night. I can't say a piece sold of the wall just yet but most people picked up a catalogue and were sweet enough to ask me to sign it.

On Friday, a few hours before the opening I was interviewed on KPFT as part of the segment called Living Art. Our segment starts 25 minutes in. It was the first time I got to meet Michael Galbreth and Sandra York–two cancer survivors and local Houston artists. Both will be participating in the panel discussion March 21 at Art League.

The biggest shock of the night came when my grandparents from Florida walked in to surprise me. Thank you to my family for making it happen and to the friends and family who made it out that night. Your presence meant the world to me. A special note goes to Gary Schott–my partner and biggest fan for supporting me in so many ways during the last few months.

Its somewhat surreal to be on the other side of the opening. I worked so hard for so many months to produce the show and the catalogue I can't quite get over the fact the big night is behind me. However I am gearing up for the panel discussion.

If you didn't make it out that night the show runs through April 17. I'll be posting installation shots and more photos soon.