Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Repository: Photographs and Video by Sarah Sudhoff Opens Friday


My long anticipated first solo show opens Friday March 6, 2009 at Art League Houston in Houston, Texas. The reception begins at 6 and runs till 8 or later. I will be giving a brief artist talk at 6:15 so arrive early.

Monday I traveled to Houston and along with Sarah Schellenberg, exhibitions coordinator at AL and Tommy Gregory a friend and preparator at Blue Star Contemporary Art Space in San Antonio, hung 14 photographs and one flat screen. Two large pieces had to be re-framed at the last minute and one of the two flat screens we ordered arrived late. So I'm driving back to Houston Thursday evening to start bright and early at the gallery on Friday to hang one 40x50 and one 30x40 along with the second flat screen all before my interview with a local radio station for a segment called Living Art.

I wish I could say this has been an easy process but not having a team to work with and coordinating the printer, framer, designer and offset printer and working with several deadlines was overwhelming. And of course there are last minute snags and the issue of funds. Since the show is at a non-profit most of the expense for producing the show as well as curating and installing lies with the artist. Luckily Art League offers a stipend and some assistance. I look forward to the day I have a team which can handle printing and framing. Another team which focuses on promotion and grant writing and another team which takes care of installing and selling of the work.

I don't feel the show looks or is perfect. Given an unlimited budget there would be more small pieces or a few more large scale photographs. Like I've been told over and over by friends who have recently had their first solo shows its not going to be perfect. You learn and you move on.