Saturday, July 26, 2008

End Game


While in Houston to teach at HCP, I made time to see the new show at the Museum of Fine Arts "End Game". It was great to see three of my favorite artists together in one show– Damien Hirst, Sam Taylor-Wood and Marc Quin. Sam Taylor-Wood's video piece A Little Death which I had seen several years before at the Contemporary Arts Museum in Houston was running on a large flat screen. I've enjoyed the piece every time I've had the opportunity to see it. For some it might not be the sort of thing you watch over and over–a rabbit as it disinegrates and bleeds out over a nine week period. If you haven't had the opportunity to see the short video its worth a look, if you like that sort of thing.

Sam Taylor-Wood also has a show which opens Friday August 1 at the Contemporary Arts Museum right across the street from the MFA-H. I would love to attend the opening however I will be back in Austin. I wondered though do artists like Sam Taylor-Wood, Damien Hirst and Marc Quin attend their openings anymore? When does attendance stop or slow. When you've become an international success and name I wonder? If I knew she would be there I would make sure to attend the opening or preview party.